Manufacturing drugs or cultivating/growing marijuana is a serious felony in Ohio. If you are involved in such an operation in any way, you are possibly facing serious legal repercussions. You need a Toledo drug cultivation and manufacturing lawyer that understands how to handle such cases.
If you’re facing drug cultivation/manufacturing charges in Toledo, OH, you should have a lawyer that offers the best defense possible. Fortunately, that’s exactly what we offer at Patituce & Associates. Call us today at 419-737-4556 to request your free consultation and learn how our Toledo drug crime lawyers can protect your rights.
How Does Ohio Law Define Drug Manufacturing?
Ohio law defines drug manufacturing or cultivation as the creation or growing of controlled substances for the purpose of selling, distributing, or trafficking them. Frequently manufactured/cultivated drugs in the state include marijuana, cocaine, heroin, prescription drugs, and methamphetamines.
Penalties for Drug Manufacturing or Cultivation in Ohio
Illegal drug manufacturing or cultivation charges in Ohio can result in severe penalties, which include possible mandatory prison sentences, possible mandatory fines, driver’s license or commercial driver’s license suspension, revocation of a professional license, and a criminal record.
How drug manufacturing or cultivation charges are punished depends on the type of drug, otherwise known as the “Schedule” it falls under in legal terms, as well as other circumstances such as whether the offense took place near a park, school, or other designated drug-free area.
The penalties for drug manufacturing or cultivation in Ohio include:
- Schedule I or II (Heroin, Marijuana, LSD): Fines of up to $15,000 and 6 to 18 months in prison.
- Schedule I or II Manufacturing Near a School: Fines of up to $20,000 and 3 to 10 years in prison.
- Schedule III, IV, or V (Clonazepam, Ketamine, Codeine): Fines of up to $10,000 and 1 to 5 years in prison.
- Schedule II, IV, or V Manufacturing Near a School: Fines of up to $15,000 and 2 to 8 years in prison.
Federal authorities usually prosecute the cultivation of marijuana especially harshly. The cultivation of up to 50 marijuana plants can result in 5 years in prison under federal law, and a life sentence for over 1,000 plants.
Can I Face Federal Drug Manufacturing Charges?
Yes, you can receive federal drug charges in addition to, or instead of, state charges for the manufacture of illegal drugs in Ohio. The Federal Controlled Substances Act outlines federal charges and penalties for the manufacturing of drugs.
Penalties under federal law tend to be much harsher than those of Ohio state and include much lengthier prison sentences, hefty fines, prison sentences without the possibility of parole, and seizure of your home among other assets.
What Are the Defenses Against Drug Manufacturing Charges?
With the help of our experienced Toledo, OH drug manufacturing and cultivation lawyers at Patituce & Associates, you can build a strong defense to successfully fight these charges and keep your record clean. Here are some common defenses to drug manufacturing charges:
- The substance in question wasn’t actually a controlled substance.
- You weren’t read your Miranda Rights.
- The evidence against you was collected during an illegal seizure or search.
- The lab results and analysis of the substance weren’t done correctly.
- The controlled substances in question were manufactured by a licensed medical professional or another individual with the authorization to manufacture drugs such as a medical researcher, pharmacy owner, or pharmacist.
How Can a Toledo Drug Cultivation and Manufacturing Lawyer Help You?
Drug manufacturing or cultivation charges are some of the most serious criminal charges you can face in Ohio. You need to have a lawyer representing you to avoid the harsh penalties that follow a conviction.
Here are the various ways a lawyer can help:
- Explaining the options available to you under the law.
- Ensuring that your rights are always protected.
- Gathering evidence to help strengthen your defense.
- Challenging the evidence presented by the prosecution.
Are You Facing Drug Cultivation and Manufacturing Charges in Toledo, OH? We Can Help!
The growing/cultivation of marijuana or manufacturing of any controlled substance in any form is strictly illegal in Ohio. If you are facing drug manufacturing/cultivation charges in Toledo, OH, you should contact our experienced lawyers at Patituce & Associates.
Our drug cultivation/manufacturing lawyers at Patituce & Associates have years of experience fighting such charges and can do the same for you. Call us today at 419-737-4556 to take advantage of our free initial consultation.