Second chances are hard to come by. Our attorneys fight relentlessly for your opportunity to secure a new trial. While other attorneys may not take the time to investigate your case, we will put in the work and craft a strategy that gives you the best chance at a second chance in life.
- See Your Options
- Contact Attorney Corral 419-597-5849
Post-Conviction Relief Lawyers in Toledo
Helping You Seek Justice after Sentencing
If you have been convicted of a crime, it can significantly impact your life in several ways. Not only must you face penalties, such as imprisonment and fines, but you can also lose certain rights and suffer the long-term consequences of a criminal record. Fortunately, there are several post-conviction relief options that could benefit you. Depending on your situation, you may be able to get your judgment reversed, your sentence reduced, or your guilt forgiven. Navigating the post-conviction process is just as, if not more, difficult than the original trial. It is highly encouraged that you consult an experienced criminal defense attorney with experience in these types of cases.
At Patituce & Associates, our Toledo post-conviction relief attorneys have over 70 years of combined experience. If a final decision has been made in your criminal case, we can help you understand all the legal remedies that are available to you. The process begins with filing a motion. Our knowledgeable lawyers can help ensure that your paperwork is filled out properly and filed in the appropriate court. A mistake during this process could mean a denial of your petition, so it is crucial to make sure that everything is done right.
Consult with Our Toledo Post-Conviction Lawyers
A conviction does not mean the end. The legal team at Patituce & Associates is committed to helping you find the post-conviction relief you deserve.
You do not have to go through this challenging time alone. Contact (419) 597-5849 now for skilled legal guidance and aggressive representation.
Post-Conviction Relief Options in Toledo
The criminal justice system is not perfect. In fact, many innocent people are convicted. If you have been wrongfully convicted of a crime, you deserve justice. There are several forms of relief that can help you get your life back on the right path.
Our firm provides counsel for several post-conviction relief options, including:
- Clemency: This form of relief comes directly from the governor of Ohio in state cases, or the President of the United States in federal cases. There are two main types of clemency. The first is commutations, which reduce the penalties of a conviction. The second is pardons, which negate the conviction entirely and removes any further punishment.
- Direct appeal: An individual who is convicted of a crime can exercise their right to challenge that conviction through a direct appeal. Filing an appeal is the process by which you can request that your case be reviewed by a higher court. You must be able to show that the outcome of your trial was affected by a legal error made in court. You must notify the court that you intend to appeal within 30 days of when the judgment was entered.
- Habeas corpus: After a conviction, you may be able to challenge your imprisonment by filing a writ of habeas corpus. If successful, this form of post-conviction relief can result in changes in the conditions of your incarceration, a reduced sentence, or release from custody.
- Judicial release: By filing a Motion for Judicial Release to the trial court where your sentencing took place, you may be able to obtain an early release from prison. The decision whether to grant or deny the Motion is left entirely to the trial judge. Prior to filing the Motion, you must serve a certain percentage of your sentence. The specific amount depends on the length of the sentence imposed.